This soup is so tasty and full of antioxidants, vitamins and fiber. Even my 5-year-old daughter loves it. Top with homemade garlic croutons for extra flavor and crunch. Serves 12.
1-3 lb. butternut squash, peeled and diced (6 cups)
2 medium cooking apples, peeled and diced
1 large onion
1 Tbsp avocado oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
½ tsp ground cinnamon or 2 cinnamon sticks
½ tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp cold butter
½ cup organic half and half
1 Tbsp honey or coconut sugar
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Over medium heat, add avocado oil to a large stockpot. Add onions and apples; and cook until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, garlic, broth, cinnamon and ginger. Cover and simmer until the butternut squash is very soft, about 30 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks if applicable.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender or purée in batches with a standing blender (do not overfill).
- Stir in the cold butter and then the half and half.
- Season with nutmeg and honey. Add salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Tip: To easily cut up a butternut squash, cook it in the microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or in a 350º F oven for 10 minutes to soften it up. Peel with a y-peeler.